9.05.2013

MangiaMore: KOREAN style spareribs


RER 8.30.13
It was a Friday night, everything, everyone and everywhere was taking longer than expected. The lines were long, the bus was late, and everyone just wanted to get out for the long weekend. But it was weird, we were trapped, and I was starving. The night before we decided that my boyfriend and I would eat dinner with my dad and my sister while my mom was out of town. Usually when this arrangement is reached, me and my boyfriend take the reigns, but this time, there was not an ounce of strength between us so my super sister took control.
 
AJR 8.30.13

RER 8.30.13
While I was waiting at a dirty bus terminal, chatting with stranded strangers, my boyfriend and my sister made the executive decision of what to make for dinner… the Minimialist’s Korean Spareribs. This recipe is a staple of deliciousness in our house, usually reserved for Sunday nights when the whole family (all four of us) are at the table.  When the smell of these spareribs permeate the house, we all know that no one is leaving until after dinner, discussion and maybe ice cream dessert.
 
RER 8.30.13
RER 8.30.13
The taste and seasoning make it feel like hard work is put into these ribs, but in reality, the ribs are cooked in a single pot. The flavors are complex, sweet and spicy, nutty, and earthy, and the aroma is hypnotizing. There is something about the toasty flavor of the sesame seeds that melds so nicely with the brightness from the scallions and the fatty meat. The spice from the ginger cuts the fat and adds to the appeal of the soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil. Even adding the scallions on top and folding them into the rice add texture and surprises.
 
RER 8.30.13
RER 8.30.13
This recipe is something we always look forward to and are severely disappointed if we miss. You should try out the low maintenance recipe! What are some of your favorite easy meals that bring the whole family together— the kind that just the smell makes you think of home and memories?
RER
9.2.13
RER 8.30.13

No comments:

Post a Comment

food for thought...