12.16.2013

MangiaMore: PUMPKIN rice pudding


RER 11.24.13
I love rice pudding. It is hearty, rich, sweet and satisfying, but also great for any meal of the day. I think I have only tried two recipes for my rice pudding base (check out this post for the deets), and I totally believe that there is no plausible reason to change this (even though now I am erring toward the second recipe; sweetened condensed milk, butter, evaporated milk...no eggs). 
 
RER 11.23.13
RER 11.23.13
But some times you want to add another layer of flavor and those seasonal ingredients are calling your name. Just like I took a leap last time with adding in the festive favorite of eggnog, this time, I whipped out the good ol’ can of pumpkin. I thought adding some pumpkin puree would make for a lovely take on this classic dessert. Along with the pumpkin, in my creative blur, I added fall spices like a little bit of nutmeg and all spice, a random little bit of brown sugar, and an even more random amount of coconut. Even with all that adding I did do a little cutting in the butter department.
 
RER 11.23.13
RER 11.23.13
 In the end it turned out pretty delicious, sweet and luxurious, and amazing with ice cream. I might add, it was a little rich this time around, and I can not put my finger on what made it so much more decadent. I might have to just make it again and see.
 
RER 11.23.13
RER 11.24.13
What is your favorite rice pudding recipe? Is it a dessert that sneaks into your holiday meals or just comes around when there is leftover Chinese take-out rice? 
RER
11.23.13
RER 11.24.13

No comments:

Post a Comment

food for thought...