11.18.2014

interview with GIBSON BORELLI


Photo Courtesy of Gibson Borelli
Sure, the pressure to get Thanksgiving just right is pretty intense, but imagine cooking for Guy Fieri and Rachael Ray on national television. That makes Thanksgiving for the fambam sound like a breeze. 

Maybe you couldn’t have done it, but Gibson Borelli, of Hoboken, definitely did and knocked it out of the park! He was the winner of the second season of Food Network’s “Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off” this September. On top of that title, Gibson won his own three-episode web series on FoodNetwork.com called “The Jersey Shore Kid, ” which takes viewers on a delicious tour of Jersey and of course, he puts his own spin on Jersey favorites.  Along with doing all those typical 7th grader things, Gibson is giving cooking demos and attending high-profile foodie events around the area.

I got a chance to ask the aspiring chef a few questions about his cooking beginnings and what it’s like to be the champ. See what’s cooking with Gibson in our interview.
Photo Courtesy of Gibson Borelli
How did it feel to win?
It felt a little crazy to win because there were many doubts in my mind that I was going to lose so it was pretty surreal to win.

Tell us a little about the competition?
The competition was a 6 episode series on Food Network. It was hosted by the amazing chefs, Guy Fieri and Rachael Ray. 

How did you come up with your recipes?
I come up with my recipes from what I've eaten, what I've seen, and off of things I have made. 

When did you start cooking?
I started cooking when I was 7 when I made my first batch of cookies. Things led from there and I am making anything you could imagine. 
Gibson and Chef Alex Guarnaschelli--Photo Courtesy of Gibson Borelli
What or Who is your inspiration?
My inspiration was Guy Fieri, all Food Network chefs, and just chefs I have met/seen in my life. 

What is your favorite thing to make? Or things?
My favorite thing to cook is my burgers. I think of burgers as a blank canvas, and I can put anything on them. So it's a great thing to make!

Any tips to aspiring chefs or kids (or adults) who want to do more and better in the kitchen?
One tip I have for aspiring chefs is to experiment. Don't make the same things twice. Sure, you might want to work on the recipe, but write down what you did wrong, and in your next dish make sure you don't make the same mistakes again. Another tip is to have fun with what you are doing. If you don't like what you are doing, switch it up!

What happens next?
What happens next? Secrets, so stay tuned!

Can’t wait to see what he’s up to next? Follow @ChefGibsonB for more of Gibson’s food adventures!
RER
11.17.14
Photo Courtesy of Gibson Borelli

No comments:

Post a Comment

food for thought...