2.11.2015

MangiaMore: VALENTINE'S DAY linzer cookies


RER 2.11.15
I live for the sappy holiday, Valentine’s Day. When I was younger it was about giving out sour sweet candy to my classmates as valentines or receiving candy grams during homeroom in high school. Now I love Valentine’s Day because it’s another excuse to bake something pink and red themed, eat candies till I fall over, and oh yeah, celebrate with the boo.
RER 2.10.15
RER 2.10.15
RER 2.10.15
I usually make him a treat as a tasty Valentine’s Day gift. Most times it’s poorly decorated red velvet cupcakes, but this year I wanted to try something different. So, I picked Linzer cookies because they are easily transformed into cutesy heart-shaped goodies with a pretty dusting of white powdered sugar and a pop of red jam.
RER 2.10.15
RER 2.10.15

RER 2.10.15
I used this recipe, and the cookies turned out adorable indeed. After rolling the textured dough, I quickly grew tired of keeping track of cookies (there’s that whole business of ones with windows and ones without to complete the sandwich). So I decided to finish with small hearts to create little sandwich cookies.  This was the best idea ever (well, yesterday when I made the cookies). The mini sandwiches are just as cute.
RER 2.10.15
RER 2.10.15

RER 2.10.15
These Linzer cookies are extremely flavorful, laced with tart lemon peel and spicy cinnamon and reinforced with aromatic roasted almonds. The apricot raspberry preserves I chose is sweet and tart, which works well with the not-too-sweet cookies. The cinnamon, however, was a little off-putting to me. Its sweet spiciness is delightful, but the amount the recipe called for might have been overkill. If I make these little guys again, I would definitely use less cinnamon.
RER 2.10.15
RER 2.10.15

JAR 2.10.15
My valentine did get to taste the cookies early, and I am pretty sure he liked them. Maybe I will whip up something else before the big day. Any suggestions (preferably something heart-shaped, pink, red, or sweet)? What are you doing for Valentine’s Day?
RER
2.11.15
RER 2.11.15


No comments:

Post a Comment

food for thought...