5.31.2013

interview with DUCHESS DELIGHTS


RER 5.2.13
It has been more than a few weeks now since I stumbled on Duchess Delights, a tasty local business, at an event I randomly attended. My friend, her boyfriend and I headed downtown to check out the One Night Only event and support Erica Santiago of Duchess Delights. She was a stranger then, but after tasting her scrumptious cakepops, I knew she was someone I had to get to know.

These cakepops were like pure happiness, dipped in liquid satisfaction, and rolled in colored dreams come true. They were so sweet and  filled with love and attention, that they should have been illegal. Each pop was a sinful moment, in salted caramel or red velvet, dipped in sweet white or regular chocolate, and decorated to tickle any girl’s fancy. Moist and rich, the cakepops tasted like the best part of a cake, but amplified, because they were no nonsense and straight to the point-- delicious.

RER 5.2.13
The cakepop trend is alive and real, but Duchess Delights takes it to another level, creating specialized pops for various events and occasions, individualized and perfected.  Not only do these cakepops encapsulate everything we love about cake, but the bites are just mini indulgences (if you can stop at one). Duchess Delights focuses on these portable treats, as well as creating lavish dessert displays for events, parties, get-togethers, and anything else imaginable.  Operating out of New Jersey and New York, this local business is ready to rock your world with “happiness on a stick!”

I know you want to find out more (like I did) so check out my little interview with the founder of Duchess Delights and the super delectable and fun blog, PooLovesBoo (totally obsessed!). Lookout for future collaborations!

RER 5.2.13

 How did your sweet foodie venture begin?  I see on your personal blog, you engage in a lot of cooking and baking, what made you push further?

I started cooking and baking at a very young age.  My mother wanted a better life for our family so she went to college while working a full time job.  I was put in charge of making dinner on the nights she went to school.  What started out as an act of necessity turned into passion of mine.  Years later after I graduated from college I began working at a fashion company.  The job left me feeling really unfulfilled.  So, I started my lifestyle blog, PooLovesBoo in 2009 as a creative outlet and it just kind of turned into a place where I share all the things I love, especially cooking and baking.  Duchess Delights happened almost organically.  It just felt like the next step to take.

What is your baking background?

I have a serious sweet tooth.  It had to have been implanted our DNA because all of the ladies in our family have one.  My mom taught me how to cook and bake.  I would read through her cook books and baking books to try new recipes and techniques.  I also remember back in the day when most kids were watching cartoons I was watching Julia Child and absolutely loved her.  She was a huge inspiration as well.  

RER 5.2.13

What inspires your sweets?

I thrive on creating desserts that are not only appealing to the eye, but they have to taste amazing.  There is nothing worse than buying a beautiful dessert and after one bite you toss it because the taste just isn’t there.  Also, depending on the client we draw inspiration from their specific needs.  Give us a theme and we’ll run with it!

What are your favorite things to bake and create?

Our signature cakepops are one of my favorite things to make because they are literally happiness on a stick.  Not only are they delicious, but you don’t have to feel super guilty about indulging in them because they are bite-sized. 

Tell me a little bit about your company? When was it founded? How did you start it? What is your goal and mission?

We are a dessert catering companying specializing in bite-sized confections that are deliciously chic.  Duchess Delights was founded almost three years ago.  I began by making cakepops for friends and family.  What started out as a word of mouth business is steadily growing.  We have been fortunate enough to provide our services for Jimmy Choo’s fragrance launch and countless store openings, weddings, bridal showers, baby showers, and birthday parties.  Our goal is to continue to create gorgeous dessert displays to make every event and occasion a memorable one.  
 
RER 5.2.13

Where can I get the goodies (almost most importantly )?! And what is pricing like?

We are located in the NJ/NYC area.  Local pick up as well as delivery is available.  You can like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram and Twitter for further info.  Pricing varies as every customer has different needs and requirements. 

I know about the cakepops that you specialize for occasions and events, but what other tasty treats does Duchess Delights dish out? Do you take requests?

Creating delicious bite sized sweets and treats are what we are passionate about at Duchess Delights.  French Macarons, Nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies, mini cupcakes and tarts are just some of the other goodies we offer.  If there is a particular request we will always try to find a way to accommodate our clients.
 RER
5.27.13
RER 5.2.13

No comments:

Post a Comment

food for thought...