1.13.2014

MangiaMore: caramel APPLE crumble


RER 12.7.13
Sometimes, all I want is something warm, sweet and comforting. Ok, sometimes is an understatement, especially with all of these recent chilly days. And one cold day, I was lucky enough to find a forgotten granny smith apple in my boyfriend’s basically barren fridge, and I was able to scrounge up my take on an apple crumble. I wanted to add something special, and immediately thought of the magnificent combination of caramel and tangy apples. I referenced this recipe for Caramel Apple Crumble bars, along with a recipe I use for cranberry oatmeal bars (a Christmastime favorite), doctoring up the soft cooked apples with some brandy. For the caramel layer, I used some of the syrup from the cooked apples and used this recipe for easy caramel sauce. Unlike the caramel apple crumble bar recipe from Kitchen Joy, I served mine more like a crumble in a bowl, warm, with a mountain of ice cream (also ate it for breakfast probably once or twice).
 
RER 12.7.13
RER 12.7.13
RER 12.7.13
RER 12.7.13
RER 12.7.13
RER 12.7.13
RER 12.7.13
RER 12.7.13
What winter desserts keep you warm when it’s too cold out? Love to hear about those sweet thangs! And would love for you to follow foodie ventures on facebook, instagram, twitter, yelp and pintrest!
RER
12.7.13
RER 12.7.13

No comments:

Post a Comment

food for thought...