3.04.2015

MangiaMore: HAMANTASCHEN


RER 3.4.15
As I usually do when I want to feel envious, I visited My Name is Yeh. When I saw her beautiful Halva and Jam Hamantaschen post, I immediately wanted to make my own (I know, I just made jelly-filled cookies, but it’s Purim!). She links to funfetti hamantaschen on Lil Miss Cakes and I knew I wanted a smattering of sprinkles in mine. Despite disapproval,  I was still excited to use the basic dough.
RER 3.4.15
RER 3.3.15
RER 3.3.15
My desire intensified as I decided what flavor hamantaschen to bake. I took an informal survey— raspberry, chocolate, blackberry, strawberry (raspberry and apricot were the winners), but I was dying to try the more traditional flavor, poppy seed. After I rejected recipes with eggs and liqueurs, a conversation with one of my besties resulted in the perfect poppy seed filling recipe from Bon Appétit.
RER 3.3.15
RER 3.3.15
RER 3.3.15
Per usual, I was intimidated, but eager to try a new recipe (or two) and use ingredients I had yet to work with.  Like, honey. Sure, I put it in Greek yogurt, but I hadn’t put it in cookie dough. Unlike many other hamantaschen recipes I saw, this one used honey instead of sugar. And poppy seeds—I don’t think I’ve even made lemon poppy seed muffins without a mix, so it was invigorating to use the real thing.
RER 3.3.15
RER 3.3.15
RER 3.3.15
Making these cookies was no easy task. Whipping up the dough and the poppy seed filling was a breeze; rolling and forming the cookies proved to be difficult. My dough was sticky and  impossible to roll even after 3+ hours in the fridgy, so I threw it in the freezer. Even then, it was still tricky. Then, creating the triangle shape was a challenge. Maybe, I took the easy (read: lazy) way  and didn’t pinch the corners for a 3D hamantaschen.  I was close…ish.
RER 3.3.15
RER 3.3.15
RER 3.3.15
They still turned out tasty. The dough isn’t sweet, but the glob of saccharine jelly or adult poppy seed filling (my fave), makes the cookie complete and utterly addictive. Maybe next year I will be defiant and make those funfetti hamantaschen.
RER
3.3.15
RER 3.4.15

No comments:

Post a Comment

food for thought...